Kick it up a notch:
– Use URIs as identifiers
– Retrieving that URI gives you a graph of facts
– Some of those facts are about other “external” identifiers.
– It’s all distributed and people can’t agree on everything.
… and you get into a whole lot of interesting Trust issues.
http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dm/ is an attempt at attributing statements to agents/authors and tackles concepts like
– X stating a fact
– X stating on behalf of Y
– X calculating a fact from A + B + C
– X stated a fact at revision 1, X stated a contradiction of that fact at revision 2.